Monday, July 16, 2012

Dispo Facto

FP9AU 6300 is wearing a new paint scheme.  That unit is fresh in my memory, since it's the last unit currently shown in my VIA disposition of equipment information that I'm including in my second book on VIA.  Used as a VMC shop switcher occasionally, then victim of a generator flashover, 6300 was recently donated to the NRHS BC Chapter.  Andy Cassidy kindly shared the photo above after the unit's repainting.

What happened to all those locomotives and cars after VIA was finished with them?  Well, many took on new lives, successfully serving tourist operators in the US and Canada, Canadian railways, and even foreign assignments.  Others were scrapped or stored.  I find this information fascinating, and while some disposition information is available in Bytown Railway Society's unparalleled Canadian Trackside Guide, it's not grouped together, nor available chronologically.

Now the facto part...once one starts looking into dispostion information, it's sometimes difficult to comb through data that is confusing, incomplete and sometimes contradictory. But I will present what I've gathered, secure in the knowledge that other VIAphiles will be able to add to what I've presented.

In the near future, I'll be providing some preliminary disposition information right here, as a book bonus.  Please feel free to give me your thoughts on its presentation and how you might find it useful.

More locations...you can now find copies of my book for sale through Ron's Books in Danbury, Connecticut and the Hobby Depot in Sudbury.

Highball!
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment